Sunday, February 2, 2014

Why did Luke include the childhood of Jesus in his gospel?

Once again, it was very hard to come up with a question this week. Luke mashed up with Matthew and Mark and it felt like I was reading the same story(which, duh, I am), over and over again, so everything is kind of getting mashed up into one confused blob in my head. So, again, after re-reading, and doing a little research about the Gospel of Luke, I decided on my question. So, my question is, as my blog title suggests; Why did Luke include the childhood of Jesus in his gospel? Although this was a really hard question to research, I really wanted to know the answer. As it turns out, there isn't really a definitive answer to this question, which, in my mind, makes it all the more interesting. I wish this blog post was more informative and entertaining, but alas, it is not, because there is not much information on the subject of Jesus and his childhood and there is certainly almost no information on why only Luke included a short little story about Jesus as a boy.



Now, we have all heard the story of Mary, the Virgin, giving birth to Jesus and laying him in a manger because there was no room in the inn, but I, personally, had never heard any stories of Jesus as a child. I kind of wonder why this is. Are the parts in between the birth and Jesus' ministry unimportant? I don't think so. I think that the "in between" parts aren't included in all the Gospels because it is almost unnecessary in getting the point and stories of Jesus across, but I find it interesting. Therefore, why does Luke add some things in his Gospel that I have not read in Matthew or Mark? It appears that there isn't much known about Jesus' actual childhood, but for some reason, Luke adds a little tid bit for all the readers. In my opinion, by adding a little extra information, it helps readers understand more about Jesus' faith and life. It was very hard for me to find any sources with any answers to my question, but I will do my best with what I have been given. According to one source, (which is a Church, but it's the best I could find), Gospel Accounts, Luke was writing to a Greek audience and possibly wanted them to understand the early signs of Jesus' wisdom and teachings. In Luke 3:41-52, the author tells the only story we truly know of Jesus' childhood, "Now his parents went to Jerusalem every year at the Feast of Passover. And when he was twelve years old, they went up according to custom. And when the feast was ended, as they were returning, the boy Jesus stayed behind in Jerusalem. His parents did not know it, but supposing him to be in the group they went a day's journey, but then they began to search for him among their relatives and acquaintances, and when they did not find him, they returned to Jerusalem, searching for him. After three days they found him in the temple, sitting among the teachers, listening to them and asking them questions. And all who heard him were amazed at his understanding and his answers." Luke 3:41-47. 



According to Religion Facts, the Gospels are mostly silent when it comes to mentioning anything about Jesus as a boy. We just get the facts, Mary, The Virgin, gave birth to him, wise men came and visited, Herod wanted him killed, then the next thing we know, Jesus, when he was around 30 (Luke 4:23), began his ministry. I suppose most of the in between would be frivolous and unimportant considering all that the gospels are really trying to tell us is that Jesus is the Son of Man, and the Messiah. The point of the gospels really isn't to tell Jesus' complete story from birth to death to resurrection.  The most important parts of those from the beginning of his ministry to his death and resurrection. In my mind though, I feel like I am missing a chunk of information (almost like watching The Harry Potter Series/Hunger Games/Almost any book to movie translation without having read the books-weird comparison, I know). I wish I could find more information about the "in between", but I can't. That being said, I am glad that Luke, being the "investigative reporter" he is decided to add a few extra things about Jesus' boyhood. Certainly Luke 3:41-52 truly shows the reader how important and wise Jesus was. 



In closing, I believe that Luke included the story about Mary and Joseph going to Jerusalem for every Passover and then Jesus in turn staying behind to teach as a further indicator of Jesus' great wisdom. 






No comments:

Post a Comment